WHAT IS 3D LASER SCANNING?
3D laser scanning is a process that uses lasers to capture millions of detailed points of a building, structure or site. These lasers, which pulse hundreds of thousands of times per second, give incredibly accurate measurements between points, creating a 3D collection of XYZ coordinates known as a ‘point cloud’. Specialist software then converts this data into comprehensive 3D models.
BENEFITS WHEN USING 3D LASER SCANNING
- Enables generation of 3D models from point cloud data
- Provides accurate as-built information
- Enables safer surveying practices in hazardous environments, e.g. Rail infrastructure & Motorways
- Reduces surveying ﬁeld time
- Reduces surveying costs in comparison to traditional methods
- Improves surveying processes and work ﬂows
- Provides high resolution images and data